maryann

Chapter by Chapter

A mostly Young Adult book review blog run by a mother and daughter team.

Shatter Me

Shatter Me - Tahereh Mafi I loved this book! I saw the hype, read some non-spoiler reviews, decided that I was going to love it, and I totally did! What did I love about it? EVERYTHING! The writing, the descriptions, the details, the characters, the words, the cover, the author, the … everything! Tahereh Mafi has woven an unforgettable Dystopian tale that I got completely lost in. There were two unique aspects of this book that I simply adored: First, there was the “strike through” print found all over the place. Though at first I was just a little confused by it, it developed into a voice within a voice reading style that I could not get enough of. My eyes would skim over the crossed out text, which would in turn develop into a voice over while reading the words that either followed or were written just before. It was so different and provided so much more emotion while reading.Second, how Mafi would write certain words three times consecutively. This complete stuck out in my head. I thought to myself, what is the significance of writing it down three times…why three? Here’s what I found while researching “The Symbolism and Spiritual Significance of the Number Three”:“Three stands for that which is solid, real, substantial, complete, and entire.”True! That is what I found when I read those words used in the book. Each time I read that same word over it solidified what was being said in the sentence. Would I say random words were used? No way. Specific and precise…the words Mafi chose to triplicate were used at substantial points in the story that needed to be emphasized. For me, it made everything even more emotional. Did I shed tears? Oh yes… Did I shed tears more than once? Heck yes! Her descriptions of loss and abuse from the eyes of a child just ripped through my heart. The longing for love and acceptance…ack Mafi had me at tears again and again! The yearning need to be touched and to touch … I went through every emotion while reading this book, and I would do it again!Readers will fall head over heels in love with Adam. *sigh* He is perfect! He is everything I hope for in a leading man…in a book boyfriend. The story and relationship of Juliette and Adam is one that readers will not soon forget. How far would you go to save the one you love? Shatter Me will answer that for you… Let’s not forget the other main players in this book now! Who doesn’t love a good villain! Warner is all that AND a bag of chips. Did I despise him? Definitely yes! And yet, there were points throughout the book where I felt myself slowly starting to hate him less and could quite possibly start to crush on him…but then BAM something happens that throws that right out the window. And Kenji? In my head, he is dead sexy *queue the Austin Power’s – Fat B**stard Scottish accent*. Comedic relief…he was my constant giggle fest. Loved him!If you’re looking for a “cannot put down, cannot stop, emotional rollercoaster ride” type read, this book is definitely for you! Grab a copy today and find a new book friend in Adam, and a book that will have a long shelf life amongst your Top 10 Favs. I cannot WAIT to see what Tahereh Mafi has for us next!