maryann

Chapter by Chapter

A mostly Young Adult book review blog run by a mother and daughter team.

Revenge of the Girl with the Great Personality

Revenge of the Girl with the Great Personality - Elizabeth Eulberg After taking my first look at the cover of Revenge of the Girl with the Great Personality I knew that I was going to have to plunge into author Elizabeth Eulberg’s novel about beauty pageants and girls that consider themselves average. I loved every minute that I spent reading the novel. Seriously, it’s been a while since I’ve hated parental figures in literature and though I’ve never watched a full episode of Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo every pageant chapter had me thinking of that show. So… to the review.Revenge of the Girl with the Great Personality follows the life of main character Lexi; a fun-loving girl with a great personality. It doesn’t matter who sees Lexi, compared to her beauty pageant contestant seven year old sister—Lexi is average. She may have the brains, but in the beauty department guys seem to find Lexi lacking. They say she has a great personality and really, isn’t that just a nice way of saying that she’s nice but nothing special to look at? When Lexi and her best friend go through a series of dares she suddenly finds herself wearing make-up, styling her hair and dressing in outfits that show off her curves.Everybody can now see that Lexi isn’t the same awkward girl she once was. Now she’s caught the eye of one of the most desirable guys in school and is becoming one of the popular girls. She doesn’t want to leave the compliments behind or stop being the apple of everybody’s eye. However Lexi’s bitter mother who favors Lexi’s sister Mac over Lexi is beginning to show her true colors. She accuses Lexi of being jealous of Mac’s beauty and demands Lexi help cover the expanses required for Mac to continue going to pageants.There’s something wrong with this picture. Why does Mac not seem as interested in pageants as Lexi believed? Why is Lexi’s mother so cruel? Can the Lexi handle being a girl with a great personality and great looks?First off I just want to say how kick-butt this novel was. The writing itself was addictive. I’d be reading and just get lost in how comedic the writing style would be but also how serious it is at the same time. The only author I can even compare Eulberg’s writing style would have to be Michael Rubens (author of Sons of the 613). Really, this is the type of novel that I think anybody can get lost in. I’m a reader who doesn’t get to read much teen fiction but after reading Revenge of the Girl with the Great Personality that could change very, very fast.Lexi is the type of character that I think a lot of teenage girls will be able to relate to and idolize. It might not be a great thing that they’ll be reading about a girl who shouts at her mother (but only when there’s reason) or a girl who begins to be blinded by all the perks that come with being one of the pretty and popular girls. What I do think a lot of teens will see in Lexi is a girl who is tired of being ignored by her crushes (a.k.a. Crush Rejection a.k.a. the non-reciprocated “I-like-like-you”) and tired of knowing that her appearance is the reason behind it.I used to know those feels and they are not fun. When Lexi takes a stand against it and throws on some make-up and nice clothes, she’s suddenly the belle of the ball. Some of what I wrote might be viewed as unrealistic in some cases, but the novel can reach girls to be comfortable with who they are and be proud of it. This is definitely the novel for girls who want a main character that can help them get over their insecurities.Never have I been so emotional over a Mom in a novel. Lexi’s mother was a character that I disliked right from the moment she was first introduced. The way she favored Mac over Lexi had me fuming and the way she treated and spoke to Lexi—Gah! I hated her! Hate, hate, hated! I mean really, she’s half the reason why Lexi’s self-esteem was so terrible. Such a terrible person. Loved that Eulberg managed to create a character that I could just openly despise. This is the type of Mom character where if a mother is reading and nodding her head saying ‘I do that, all the time, totes legit’ you should probably get help.I’d recommend Revenge of the Girl with the Great Personality to readers who are looking for a main character with a journey that can help them overcome certain personal issues. Readers who are big fans of comedic moments and teen fiction will love this title. Anybody who is just looking for a novel that can get you riled up and emotional better get Revenge of the Girl with the Great Personality a.s.a.p.