maryann

Chapter by Chapter

A mostly Young Adult book review blog run by a mother and daughter team.

The Greyfriar (Vampire Empire, Book 1)

The Greyfriar - Clay Griffith, Susan Griffith The Greyfriar by Clay and Susan Griffith is one series that I was so excited to start. Reminiscent of Blade, this is one series that readers everywhere should keep an eye out for.Set in a steampunk world where Vampires have taken over most of the world populace, and a war between the humans and the vampire kind is ready to break out.The story opens up on a sky ship, where Princess Adele, the heiress to the Empire Equatoria is on her way north to tour the lands and people when unbeknownst to her and the royal guard that accompany her, a powerful vampire clan attacks the ship with one goal in mind…to capture Princess Adele and hold her captive and use her as leverage against Equatoria for their own benefit. And it’s not just any clan. It has been set forth by Prince Cesare, son to King Dmitri, a once feared and revered vampire.As the ship goes down, Princess Adele is confronted by a most fearsome war chief known in the vampire world and Prince Cesare’s right hand man…erm…woman, Flay. And Flay will stop at nothing to get what she came for. That is until a legend appears out of nowhere, and helps Adele escape her clutches…The Greyfriar. Feared by all vampires for his ability and ease in defeating their kind…loved and honored by the humans for all he does to protect mankind. But it is not with ease that the Greyfriar helps Adele.As I said earlier, Flay will stop at nothing to bring Adele home to Cesare…lest she loses her life. And it’s with this determination that Flay does, in fact, capture the Princess. But it will not be the only time in which she will have to come face to face with her greatest challenge…The Greyfriar. And the Greyfriar will stop at nothing to keep the Princess safe, and take her home where she belongs.Okay…The Greyfriar = yum! With the way he pops up at the most opportune time, I found myself cheering out loud time and time again when he would show up to foil Flay and Cesare’s plans. I love strong male characters, and the Greyfriar is definitely one of those. Not only that, but the mystery that surrounds him had me captivated. Once his secret is revealed, you can’t help but fall even harder for him! And OMG what a secret it is.The fight scenes found throughout the book were described in such a way that I was able to see the battle unfold easily in my mind, like a movie (which by the way, would be totally awesome to see made!). The characters, be they good or bad, were wonderfully developed and all had personalities of their own, which made them even more enjoyable. I mean, let’s take Senator Clark for instance. Yes, he is Princess Adele’s Intended, and so I can see how he would be so determined to go all out and do what needs to be done to bring back his bride. But his cockiness and his arrogance had annoyed with him…but in a good way. It had me appreciate the other characters in the book even more! The twists and turns found within these pages shocked me and awed me, and had me unable to put this book down.Readers everywhere will come to love the story that develops between Princess Adele and The Greyfriar. Fans of Blade will fall head over heels for The Vampire Empire series, and I personally can’t wait to dig into book #2 to see what will happen next, and of course…to see more of the Greyfriar.And as a fun fact…do you know who narrates The Greyfriar (Vampire Empire #1) by Clay & Susan Griffith? Buffy fans! It’s non other than Spike himself, James Marsters! Have a listen!