maryann

Chapter by Chapter

A mostly Young Adult book review blog run by a mother and daughter team.

The Torn Wing (Faerie Ring)

The Torn Wing - Kiki Hamilton Since I was given the privilege of reading the first book in the Faerie Ring series, I was pretty pumped up and ready to read the second installment to the series. The Faerie Ring (a.k.a. the first book in the series) was both intriguing and unique. With it being set in England during the 1800’s, I liked being able to look at a world from before any of us reading this review existed (unless you are a vampire/immortal being who dwells in the Lazarus Pit, Batman reference for the win) and also get a realistic sense of the setting.However I will say that I found The Faerie Ring missing…something, I had high hopes that The Torn Wing would give me everything that the Faerie Ring couldn’t give me. It did.The first thing that got me was the title, obviously it got me interested, but upon starting the first chapter and all the ones after it, I figured out one thing: The Torn Wing would be nothing short of action filled. Not only do we get to have yet another adventure with Tiki/Tara Kathleen but we get thrown into the first chapter of the story that includes a killer from the Winter Court and the murder of the Summer King, initiating a chance for the Winter King to rule long past Beltane. This causes the Otherworld to fall into a state of chaos and the only person who can seemingly stop it is the person who holds a faerie ring birthmark.And that person is Tiki. *Mind =Blown.*As you know, being a person who has read the first novel (and if you haven’t: Mortal what are you doing? Turn back now, spoilers will be present) you know that after the events that took place in The Faerie Ring, Larkin is in prison with her wings clipped by iron. Well guess what happens within the first six chapters? Larkin makes an appearance. Having escaped prison by tearing one of her wings out, Larkin arrives just in time to do what she did best in the last book, which is antagonize Tiki and her family. Larkin goes from being one of the main antagonists however, to one of Tiki’s allies, something that I found majorly shocking.The main point of the novel is for Tiki, who can hold rule over a court, to take the throne away from the Winter King by touching the Tara Stone., which is the stone Tiki was named after. Throughout the novel, Tiki travels around England and the Otherworld in an attempt to find the stone and control one of the courts before Beltane. While in the Otherworld, I enjoyed the fact that finally we get away from the realism of England and get to experience situations that involve supernatural beings that are commonly found in faerie lore. I personally enjoyed it because it managed to remind me a lot of the Wondrous Strange novels that I loved to death.Sadly, I found that The Torn Wing doesn’t focus on one of the things that I was beginning to love most in The Faerie Ring: The romance between Reiker and Tiki. I expected the usual with YA romance, a strong relationship, the lovey-dovey thoughts and public displays of affection. You don’t get any of that and I have to admit that it did disappoint me. But oh well, you can’t get everything and the novel’s plot was pretty beast (which means good, in case you didn’t know that…).I would recommend The Torn Wing to readers who enjoyed The Faerie Ring, are fansof faerie lore or readers who want to immerse themselves in a freaking awesome fantasy world. When the novel comes to an end, you’ll be left dying for the third novel.