maryann

Chapter by Chapter

A mostly Young Adult book review blog run by a mother and daughter team.

Defiance

Defiance - C.J. Redwine This book stirred up so many emotions in me. I would pause between chapters and stop any member of my family (who would listen) and say “You know, this book is stirring up so many emotions in my!”. I bet you that I made that declaration a good 5-6 times. I guess it lost its effect to my family after…oh I don’t know, declaration number 3.The story follows a strong, hard headed young girl named Rachel. In her city of Baalboden,, which is ruled with iron fist by a brutal Commander, an individual is declared dead after not returning to the city by the six month mark. Such is the case for Rachel’s father, Jared Adams. On his latest courier mission, Rachel’s father fails to return home leaving Rachel no choice accept her fate and go with whomever the Commander chooses as her Protector.As luck would have it, Rachel ends up being assigned to a boy she had declared her love to a few years back…the apprentice to her father, Logan. *swoon* Both are neither thrilled about this turn of events, but find a common reason to work with each other. A plot to scale the city walls and venture out into the Wasteland and search for her missing father.Life within the confines of Baalboden may seem like a miserable life, but to venture out into the Wastelands is sheer insanity. Not only are there predatory animals who would enjoy nothing more than to make a meal out of you, or assassins/trackers from a neighbouring territory looking to rob you of all you have and leave you dead, but the constant paranoia that the most fearsome beast of them all, The Cursed One, will pop up at your feet at any moment and leave you to face a hot, fiery death. Not fun…But things don’t always work out the way they intend to (such is life in a good book), and now a multitude of obstacles get in between Rachel and her father…and perhaps between Rachel and Logan? Dun dun dunnnnnn…I absolutely loved this book. Everything about it was exactly what I wanted in a book, not to mention that it’s a Dystopian type read with a Fantasy flavor. You will find no insta love in these pages, my friends. The that may or may not develop is one that is put to the test, and where I was hoping against hope that something good would finally happen for Rachel.I mean, the horrible things that this poor girl is put through is just incredible. And yet she emerges strong and headstrong. GAH! I loved this character! Yes, yes there were points in the book where I wanted to smack her silly and yell “Wake up!” The way in which author, C.J. Redwine described these events was gut wrenching, gasp inducing, and completely filled my head with so many different visions of this Commander. It’s like when you drive by a car accident and you just can’t look away…I couldn’t stop reading even though it was hurting my heart.The characters in this book were ones that I absolutely fell in love with, especially when it came to Logan. Sweet, dreamy, nerdy, sexy Logan. He is everything I hoped he would be. The chivalrous knight in shining armour. The interactions between Logan and Rachel were truly unforgettable, and the chemistry between them was so wonderful to watch unfold. The description of the undying love that Rachel has for her father melted my heart, along with her relationship with her “grandfather” Simon. The heartstrings were being pulled all over the place, and then ripped right out of my chest. Argh! This book stirred up so much emotion in me! (Sound familiar?)I recommend Defiance to fans of Dystopian reads AND Fantasy books. The best of both worlds, Defiance by C.J. Redwine is a book that will remain with you long after you’ve turned that last page. *hugs*