maryann

Chapter by Chapter

A mostly Young Adult book review blog run by a mother and daughter team.

Lies Beneath

Lies Beneath - Anne Greenwood Brown I knew absolutely nothing when I started reading Lies Beneath. I didn’t have time when I began reading it to check it out on Goodreads for ratings or a brief synopsis, the only thing that gave the theme of the novel away was the cover of a mermaid with bloodied water above/behind her. That alone caught my interest and right off the bat I assumed that the story would be in the point of view of a female main character—I was surprised not only by the fact that Lies Beneath began with an opening paragraph that already had me interested, but by the fact that it also was in the POV of a teenage guy. Which I was absolutely cool with, especially since he is a merman who feels happiness from murdering humans, has three twisted sisters and plans on murdering a man out of vengeance for his family of mer-people.Considering that as of late, there have been tons of mermaid novels being released, I was wondering if Lies Beneath would be able to catch my eye and make me see any differences that would make the story interesting. I’m so very happy to say that Lies Beneath was so different. I mean, sure there have been serial killer mermaids before—but I like to think of Lies Beneath as Hush, Hush with mermaids. The way that Brown wrote the novel gave it that Hush, Hush feel and of course, the main character Calder acted in a way that had me thinking (and I quote!): “Oh my gosh, he’s just like Patch but with fins!”.Indeed I said that.Anyways, back to the review! The story kept up a consistent pace and never stopped holding my interest. The fact that Calder was constantly stalking Lily Hancock because of her father Jason Hancock had me wondering what would happen next especially since his relationship with her that was supposed to be strictly emotionless ended up growing into something else entirely. The funny thing with Lies Beneath is that I couldn’t stop reading. Actually. I didn’t want to stop reading. I wanted to know what would happen next because of the way Brown wrote it with constant cliff-hangers that left me dying to know what happens next.The romance portion of the novel was cute, especially since Lily was a character that I think we rarely see in YA. She wasn’t afraid to get herself involved with the dangerous world of the mermaids, faced Calder’s sisters and got all cute with him without seeming all that afraid of the consequences that came with them being together. (Can you say “awww”?).I would recommend Lies Beneath to fans of mermaid lore, Becca Fitzpatrick`s Hush, Hush and readers who want to get completely absorbed in a novel. Lies Beneath was breathtaking.