maryann

Chapter by Chapter

A mostly Young Adult book review blog run by a mother and daughter team.

Keep Holding On

Keep Holding On - Susane Colasanti Keep Holding On by Susane Colasati broke my heart in so many different ways, during so many different parts. From the very beginning to the very end, Keep Holding On kept my attention, and had my emotions on overload.Keep Holding On is story told in the eyes of main character, Noelle Wexler. Embarrassed by her life situation, which consists of a neglectful mother and living on below the minimum, Noelle faces the challenges of high school every day. Sure, high school is tough enough, but throw in the fact that she is on the radar of every bully in the school who all stop at nothing to make her life a living hell…the light at the end of the tunnel just keeps getting further and further away.Constantly being picked on for her lack of lunches (lettuce sandwiches, mayo and mustard sandwichs), being accused of being a slut for something she didn’t do, being stalked and tormented by the number one bully, Carly. All these things add up to a life where Noelle questions why she should even care, and wondering why no one would want to love her. With a mother who continuously tells Noelle that she “ruined her life”, how can one not feel the desperation and sense of loss coming from Noelle.But sometimes, it takes one horrible incident to bring everything else into light, and possibly give Noelle the courage and push to start making life better, and start creating the life she deserves.Okay, for those of you who don’t already know…bullying is a huge no-no in my book. I do what I can to put the message out there that it’s wrong. I teach my girls how awful it is, how the victim would feel and try to explain why it does exists. Because let’s face it. It exists…and the extent of the bullying going on out in the world is mind blowing. Age doesn’t even matter anymore…the young pick on their peers, the young pick on their elders…Where does all my anti-bullying stem from? No, I wasn’t bullied at school. My junior high/high school days were actually pretty awesome! BUT there were bullies. And there were their victims. I have seen first-hand the bullying that happens, and have seen adults and teachers turn the other way. That is so wrong on so many levels. Just as Susane Colasti says in Keep Holding On, “If grownups don’t stand up for us, who will?” Enter me. Yes, back in the day, I was the bully to the bully. I was the one that the victims came to for help. I was their voice. Did it help? I’d like to think so. To this day, victims being bullied will always have a place in my heart.Keep Holding On by Susane Colasti is a real eye opener and really immerses the reader in the world of bullying. The emotional writing style of Colasti is one that will keep this book in the minds of readers everywhere. Keep Holding On is a gripping book that will have your heart crying and give you a glimpse into the world of a victim of bullying. A definite life-changing read.