maryann

Chapter by Chapter

A mostly Young Adult book review blog run by a mother and daughter team.

Bloodlines (Bloodlines (Richelle Mead))

Bloodlines - Richelle Mead I have wanted to read and finish Bloodlines for such a long time now, but have constantly been forced to put the novel off over and over again. Luckily for me, I finally got the opportuinity to finish the novel and you have no idea how happy I am. Not only because I got to read it, but because of the content in this novel. If you know anything about Bloodlines, you know that it’s a companion series to Vampire Academy and if you’re anything like me, you expect the story to hold a lot of equality to the characters and world of Vampire Academy. Not everybody reading this review may have read Vampire Academy, so I won’t spoil too much, but in warning: If you read Bloodlines before you read any of the Vampire Academy novels and later decide to read VA everything will have been spoiled for you.Just a heads up.Personally, I thought that Bloodlines would be very similar to VA and that hopefully we would get to see most of the same characters, but sadly, I was wrong. The novel focuses mostly on the world of the Alchemists and the human world inside of the Vampire Academy universe. In Bloodlines, we have the same creatures of Dhampirs, Moroi and Strigoi, but it’s seen from a more human perspective instead of Rose Hathaway’s constant “Come at me, Bro” attitude.The novel began with an introduction to the Alchemist way of life and we get to see the character Sydney’s life in a way that we never got to see before in VA. We learn that because of the help she gave Rose and Dimitri in VA she has suffered the consequences as an Alchemist. We see her home life and see that Sydney will do anything to keep her younger sister, Zoe, from becoming an Alchemist herself. Sydney is then sent to help guard and protect the Moroi princess Jill, since threats have been made on her life to keep Queen Vasilisa from remaining in power. A fair bit of the novel, I will admit, felt a little slow, but with this being Richelle Mead I knew that it goes to a high-note closer to the end of the novel.Oh and Rose gets a cameo!!!! Yay!Bloodlines has a large amount of multiple twists and turns and has an ending that nobody will see coming and ends with a final two words that made my heart stop beating and had me begging for the sequel. I would recommend Bloodlines to fans of the VA series, vampire lovers everywhere and fans of teen-fiction with a supernatural twists!