maryann

Chapter by Chapter

A mostly Young Adult book review blog run by a mother and daughter team.

Obsidian (Lux Novel)

Obsidian - Jennifer L. Armentrout I’m going to point out the obvious, but Jennifer L. Armentrout is officially one of my favorite authors. After starting, reading and finishing Obsidian. I came across that awestastic (yes that is a word) truth. *cough* just saying *cough*. For those of you who are unaware or didn’t feel like reading the synopsis and just wanted to skip straight into the review, which I don’t blame you because Obsidian was pretty kick butt, I’ll give you a heads-up as to what the novel is about: Aliens. You heard me right, aliens. Personally (a word I use too much during reviews), I wanted to read Obsidian because it reminded me of that old T.V. show Roswell, that being said I had high expectations.I won’t beat around the bush… Obsidian… did… meet my expectations!Pretty much everything about Obsidian was to die for. From the opening chapter where we learn that the main character Katy has a blog that reviews books (*fist pump* represent!) and throughout the novel there were mentions of popular weekly memes (*add in another fist pump for awesomeness*). Not only was there that, but the way that author Jennifer L. Armentrout wrote the novel was just hysterical—oh and I mean that in a good way. Either it was Katy’s thought process or the dialogue between Katy and some other character (*cough* Daemon and Ash *cough*), I found myself literally laughing out loud. I found Katy to be a very realistic and will be very relatable to readers. I was bonding with Katy because she would use a ton of comic references, just saying.Let’s also not forget the incredibly attractive and jerky Daemon. Not only was he the most hot and cold characters I have ever read about, but he was also one of the sweetest characters I have ever read about. Well… he could be sweet when he wanted to be. It’s pretty hard to describe Daemon in a review, so for those of you who have read Hush,Hush I’ll just say that he’s like Patch—but more of a jerk at certain times. The relationship between him and Katy is a complete and utter mystery. At times I would be screaming at the book (yes, I scream at books) from them to kiss and then a minute later I would be screaming at Katy to beat his sorry behind.As the novel progressed I did like getting to learn more about the aliens (who had a planet with an origin relatable to Superman. True story) and their abilities, as well as the DOD, Department of Defense, who sound like they will have a major part in later novels. I feel like I’ve forgotten to mention that there are also evil aliens, the Arum, who wants to kill every single Lux (aliens like Daemon) and steal all of their abilities. That’s where all of the excitement comes in. Suddenly the reader is forced to watch, or well…read) as Daemon and his family as well as Katy try to defend themselves from the Arum. Very fun and tons of heart pounding moments.I would recommend this to fans of both sci-fi and romance and want a good mixture of both. Anybody who loved I Am Number Four is bound to love Obsidian. Happy alien hunting reading!