maryann

Chapter by Chapter

A mostly Young Adult book review blog run by a mother and daughter team.

Partials

Partials - I was very excited to start this book…VERY excited. And not only because it’s a Dystopian. Ok, ok…maybe because it was a Dystopian, but still. This book was fantastic! The beginning did grab my attention instantly, and held it for the duration of the book. Partials was jam packed with action, suspense, humour, and unbelievable twists. There were plot twists all over the place. I loved it! I was gasping, and reeling, and trying to speed read just to get to the end. I needed to know what was going to happen, where everything was leading to, what the outcome for our heroine, Kira Walker would be. Dan Wells writing was amazing. He put together an unforgettable story that has left me crying out for more. I need to know what is going to happen next! Wells does a fantastic job of describing a world where the existence of mankind hangs in the balance and where a world of engineered organic beings identical to humans called Partials are the reason why all of the world’s population is nearly extinct. Unable to pro-create, Kira and a band of misfits venture out in search of a cure. Exceptional world building and character development are just a few things that made this book extraordinary. One of my favorite characters in this book is Marcus, Kira’s boyfriend. Pretty much anything that comes out of his mouth is comedic relief. I found myself constantly looking forward to seeing what he would say next. There was one part in the book where I was cracking up! It was a pretty tense moment in the book, my eyes glued to the pages wondering how they were going to get out of a sticky situation, and out of Marcus’ mouth is “My contribution was to somehow refrain from peeing myself. You can thank me later.” Hilarious! In the end, my absolute favorite character is our leading lady, Kira. Reminiscent of Katniss Everdeen from Hunger Games, she is one tough cookie and determination is her best quality. She doesn’t put up with crap, and she’s not one of those heroines who is blinded by love. In this case, love is what leads her. Love for her best friend’s baby…love for humanity…love for the future. And did I already bring up the plot twists? Just when I thought I had it all figured out, Wells turns it all around and presents a whole new picture that leaves you reeling! And ummmm, yes I totally crushed on a Partial. Don’t judge me. Read the book, meet Samm and I dare you to tell me you didn’t crush on him too… Overall, Partials was a fantastic read that I am so happy to have had the opportunity to read. Fans of The Hunger Games and Dystopian reads will completely devour Partials. Expected release date for the next installment, Fragments, is September 2013. The wait is going to be brutal!