maryann

Chapter by Chapter

A mostly Young Adult book review blog run by a mother and daughter team.

Hunger (Riders of the Apocalypse Series)

Hunger - Jackie Kessler "If you have ever looked in the mirror and hated what you saw, this book is for you" ... Upon opening the book, and seeing that message I was already hooked. The premise of this book is what initially caught my attention. Actually, the premise of all the books in this series is what caught my attention. Troubled teens being turned into the Riders of the Apocalypse? Sounded like a pretty cool idea to me.Jackie Morse Kessler opens the eyes of the reader into the world of eating disorders, providing us with the insight of what an individual with an eating disorder thinks of themselves, feels about themselves, and their thoughts on how others perceive them.Told in the first person point of view of the main character, Lisabeth Lewis, Kessler does a fantastic job of capturing the readers attention with her unique way of story telling. I loved reading about how Lisabeth has to deal with the realization that she has been chosen as Famine, one of the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.It was interesting to see the thoughts of Lisabeth as she rode all over the world, seeing with her own eyes what truely starving people lived through and to see the impact it had on her and her struggles with Anorexia, and how she finds the strength to use her powers for good.One of my favorite parts of this book was the battle between Famine and War. I could picture the show down in my head, and enjoyed every minute of it. Kessler does a great job of describing the details of this fight, that the reader will literally see the scene unfold right before their very eyes. As morbidly weird as this may sound, I found myself suddenly developing a crush on old Death himself ... I know right! There were just various points throughout the book where I found him to be very Jace-esque (of The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare fame) in his comments and actions. I remember telling myself "Self! What are you thinking? This is Death...no crushes allowed", and after having convinced myself that I was right...Death says or does something else to change my mind.An awesome read with a must read message, readers will devour this world that Jackie Morse Kessler has created where your problems may cause Death to come knocking on your door, and turn you into on of the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. I cannot wait to start Rage, the next installment in the Riders of the Apocalypse series.