maryann

Chapter by Chapter

A mostly Young Adult book review blog run by a mother and daughter team.

Opposition by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Opposition - Jennifer L. Armentrout

I’ve been reading the Lux series for what feels like (to me at least) a very long time. Ever since I picked up that first book and kind of crinkled my nose because the premise sounded strange but awesome at the same time and just got into it. Now here we are at the end with Oppositionwhere nothing will be the same and the series will come to a close. I have to admit that it wasn’t at all what I expected but we’ll get into that later on in this review.

Opposition takes place exactly where Origin left off. The Luxen have invaded Earth and we know that some seriously bad things are bound to occur from there. Katy has been waiting for Daemon to return to her and is left alone with Beth, Luc and Archer. A grocery run gone wrong results in Katy and Daemon being re-united but not at all in the way that she expected them to be. The Luxen intend to decimate the planet and have taken to snatching human bodies and taking their forms. As Daemon and Katy delve deeper into the mysteries surrounding the Luxen invasion, they are pushed to facing old enemies, unexpected changes in loyalties and crossing the line between good and bad in order to save mankind.

Opposition takes the Lux series and puts it through a total genre-shift. Comparing it to the first novel in the series, everything goes from ‘high school with aliens’ to ‘pre-dystopic alien invasion’. Personally I like the sudden change especially since there was a lot more action that came with the Luxen invading the planet. There are some pretty sweet weapons that are brought into the story, new alliances that are formed and sides to characters that we haven’t seen before.

With the Luxen invasion comes new characters. I did enjoy our new big bad alien enemies. Most prominently are the characters Rolland and Sadie who are sadistic and try to convert Daemon, Dee and any other Luxen who cross their paths, to joining them when it comes to the invasion. While one of the two isn’t at all what they seemed, they do give reason for Daemon and Katy to go searching for (you guessed it) the Arum. “Whaaaat!” you exclaim. Yes, the Arum make a reappearance and it is glorious.

Since the novel does focus about the fate of mankind I expected Opposition to keep me on the edge of my seat and fretting over the lives of characters. In pastLux novels I did find myself surprised when major characters got killed off and I expected the exact same, dangerous plotline multiplied by ten. Strange enough, when I reached the novel’s conclusion I felt like everything had been executed too safely. There were so many opportunities for the novel to become gritty and harsh and serious and were instead turned light-hearted at the last minute. For the last novel in the series and considering the storyline, this did disappoint me a fair bit.

In spite of that, the novel did still keep me on the edge of my seat. I was eager to find out what the end result to all of this fighting would be and did want to know if love could conquer all. You won’t be getting any spoilers from me in terms of the ending but it did definitely leave me feeling good and lets the series end on a high note. I’m gonna miss the Luxen, Daemon, and the Origins, so, so very much.

I would recommend this series to any readers who are looking for a series that will keep them interested from book to book, to any readers who are looking for a sci-fi that melds with teen fiction, and to any readers who are desperately seeking a tall, dark and snarky (not to mention handsome) male lead.

Source: http://www.chapter-by-chapter.com/review-opposition-by-jennifer-l-armentrout