maryann

Chapter by Chapter

A mostly Young Adult book review blog run by a mother and daughter team.

Nightborn (Thrones & Bones #2) by Lou Anders

Nightborn - Lou Anders

Nightborn (Thrones & Bones 2) by Lou Anders was a fantastic follow up to its predecessor, Frostborn. We are once again immersed into a world of magic and mythical creatures, and are once again shown the value of true friendship.

Where book 1 showed us the growing friendship between Karn and Thianna, Nightborn shows us the value of the friendship that these two characters have. That through thick and thin, and with whatever is on the line, the friendship and loyalty that Karn has for Thianna supersedes everything else.

Picking up where Frostburn pretty much left off, the book opens up with Karn learning more about the trade business. But to his surprise, a creature from the past snatches him up (literally) and carries him off to face an “old” friend who has some rather unfortunate news. Karn’s best friend, Thianna, may be in trouble and it has something to do with another Horn of Osius. Karn has no other choice to accept this mission because the fate of his friend is all that he cares about.

And it’s during this new adventure that Karn encounters the dark elves. A species not be taken lightly. Trained to move like assassins (silent and deadly), they give Karn a run for his money. And it’s amongst these dark elves that the paths of Karn and Desstra cross. With twists and turns, the fate of these two characters are intertwined, and both find something that they were not expecting.

I thoroughly enjoyed both the books in these series, and am positive that young middle grade readers everywhere will get caught up in this action filled adventure. With characters that are easily likeable (or easy to hate), and a storyline that will grip you from the very beginning, there is a little bit of something for everyone!

I especially love that characters from the first book made an appearance (a significant appearance at that). It made the story all that more enjoyable for me. What did I love the most about this book? The conversations that Thianna had with the dragons/wyvern/other creatures had me giggling out loud. I found the writing to be witty and addicting. I can’t wait to see what author, Lou Anders, has in store for us in the next installment!

Fans of How to Ride Your Dragon and The Balance Keepers series by Lindsay Cummings will be instantly hooked in the Thrones & Bones books!

Source: http://www.chapter-by-chapter.com/review-nightborn-thrones-bones-2-by-lou-anders