maryann

Chapter by Chapter

A mostly Young Adult book review blog run by a mother and daughter team.

Absolutely True Lies by Rachel Stuhler

Absolutely True Lies: A Novel - Rachel Stuhler

Absolutely True Lies by Rachel Stuhler gives you the feel of actually seeing things behind the curtain. If you ever wondered what the lives of celebrities are like, this book definitely does that. Fact or fiction, I’m sure that the antics that happened in Absolutely True Lies does (or did) happen, at one time or another. In fact, reading some of the antics that happened in this book sounded vaguely familiar! I’ll also tell you this, I could easily picture this book as a movie, with a “Devil Wears Prada” vibe.

Absolutely True Lies by Rachel Stuhler follows main character, Holly Gracin, a struggling writer who is waiting for her opportunity to shine. Fortunately for her, it just happens to fall into her lap. She gets hired to write the autobiography of child/teen star, Daisy Mae Dixon. Knowing that this could be the one that could make or break her career, Holly doesn’t hesitate to accept the job. Little did she know what the “job” actually entails!

At Holly’s first meeting with the Dixon’s, Daisy and her mother bring on the Southern charm, and Holly is unable to resist. With promises of a big payout, and a chance to rub shoulders with the “in-crowd” of Hollywood, Holly is aware that things are about to change for her.

And change they did! Holly gets a little taste of just how “fun” being part of the entourage of a celebrity can be. Passing out on the dance floor at a new club because of her constricting shapeware and lack of sustenance ends up coming out in the tabloids as Holly being Daisy’s pregnant cousin. And the drama that leads up to Holly actually finding out that she got dubbed that title was pretty hilarious. Again, I can totally imagine the scene in the restaurant playing out on the big screen.

As Holly delves deeper and deeper into the real life of Daisy Mae Dixon, the fog is lifted from Holly’s eyes and she is actually knee deep in lies, deceit, manipulation, and a pretty much a heartless game of chess. And don’t think that the drama only revolves around the teen star? Oh no, dear readers…Holly gets herself into quite of a pickle herself! Two men, romantic Rome setting, crazed teen star, shmarmy manager…you ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

Told in the point of view of Holly, it really helped me feel like I, too, was part of the story. Living the crazy life that Holly has had to endure for months. The highs and lows. Although I did really enjoy Absolutely True Lies by Rachel Stuhler, there were points in the book where I just couldn’t stand the main character, Holly. She seemed way to, way to, way to innocent at times, but then at other points, she can be wise beyond her years. In a word, I found her rather simple most of the time.

I liked the twist that author, Rachel Stuhler, put in the end. It did leave me with some “ahhhh’s”, and made that book that more enjoyable. It almost gave me a “The Usual Suspect” moment, where I had to comb back through my memory, as Holly did, and find those “ah-ha” scenes. I rather enjoyed that the author included bits and pieces of the autobiography that Holly is writing, in the beginning of each chapter.

If you enjoy reading tabloids or surf through the celebrity sites on the internet, I would definitely recommend Absolutely True Lies by Rachel Stuhler. Maybe your jonsing for a career in writing autobiographies for stars? Check this out. It’ll open your eyes to life of a celebrity (even if this is a work of fiction).

Source: http://www.chapter-by-chapter.com/review-absolutely-true-lies-by-rachel-stuhler