maryann

Chapter by Chapter

A mostly Young Adult book review blog run by a mother and daughter team.

Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes by Karin Slaughter

Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes - Karin Slaughter

The Novella Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes gives a great backstory to Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter. It follows Julia Carroll, a budding journalist, as she tries to deal with the disappearances of girls in her area. But why is she so anxious about these disappearances? Julia feels that she and the missing girls have similarities. Primarily, the fact that they were young and beautiful.

Constantly checking around the corner, being wary of shadows, and footsteps/sounds behind her as she’s walking down the street. So anxious, in fact, that she’s cautioning her friends and replaying the moments leading up to the other girls’ disappearances…questioning what they could have done differently to prevent it from happening.

But all the “what ifs” and the “should haves” can’t prepare her for what happens. Especially when she, herself, doesn’t listen to the warnings she’s been preaching.

Blonde Hari, Blue Eyes by Karin Slaughter was a quick read that had me wondering when the inevitable would happen to main character, Julia Carroll. The author does a great job of making a situation sound sketchy and that something will happen to Julia, but then *poof* nothing! Just a reader being paranoid for the character…nothing else to see here people, move along…

Although I’m really looking forward to reading Pretty Girls which focuses on Julia’s younger sisters as they deal with Julia’s disappearance all those years ago, I had a difficult time liking Julia. Her extreme anxiousness annoyed me, and the fact that she talks the talk, but doesn’t walk the walk was what killed it for me.

None the less, if you’re planning to read Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter, I would recommend reading Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes before. I always enjoy a good back story, and this one already has me trying to sleuth who did it!

Source: http://www.chapter-by-chapter.com/blog-party-blonde-hair-blue-eyes-by-karin-slaughter-mini-review-and-giveaway