maryann

Chapter by Chapter

A mostly Young Adult book review blog run by a mother and daughter team.

Indelible by Dawn Metcalf

Indelible - Dawn Metcalf

Since first looking at the cover of author Dawn Metcalf’s Indelible, the first novel in the Twixt series, I knew that it was going to be something interesting to read. That cover looked mysterious and beautiful which are two of the words I would use to describe Indelible. It’s one of those reads that you just get lost in and I personally fell in love with every minute I spent with Joy and Ink.

Indelible tells the story of main character Joy Malone who, after accidentally seeing a boy that she shouldn’t be able to see, finds herself being pulled into a dark world within our own. When the boy with black eyes notices that Joy can see him he cuts her eye and accidentally marks Joy to be his Lehman; a person who will have to act as his lover unless they both want to suffer the consequences of him marking her by accident.

Joy accepts that she is the boy’s Lehman as it’s her best option and learns that the boy is Indelible Ink and his sister is Invisible Inq. Both of them work for the Twixt and mark people with a specific signiturae. As Joy is brought into a world darker than our own she finds herself seeing the creatures her sight brings and slowly begins to fall for Ink. However not all is what it seems among the Twixt and one of their own is plotting something that Joy, Inq and Ink may not be able to stop.

What I really enjoyed about Indelible was that I was hooked from the very first page to the very last. I couldn’t stop reading. The way Metcalf’s writing style flow and the way the plot is perfectly paced just left me completely obsessed. I couldn’t put it down. I had to know what would happen next to Joy and Ink and I had to know if their relationship would move a bit further or if, with Joy, Ink would grow to become more human. This is one of those reads that becomes completely, take over your brain addictive and I loved every second of it.

The characters in Indelible are ones that you really grow to love while you’re reading. The characters are realistic (despite this being a novel with fantasy creatures) and also grow as you read the novel. I really enjoyed this character growth because throughout the novel the characters are supposed to change with Joy as she comes to accept her role as Ink’s Lehman. There are also a lot of relationships established in Indelible that grow in either a good way or a bad way which means: friends and enemies are formed. It’s very exciting to watch these relationships get made and broken as the plot unfolds.

In Indelible you also get to watch Joy and Ink fall in love. Oh my feels, these two characters completely owned my emotions while reading. Right from the start when Ink oh so romantically cuts Joy’s eye to the end when he and her have already established that they are more than just friends, I loved these two being together. Every single time they got cute or romantic around each other my heart would just melt and the descriptions were just perfect for each moment. Joy teaches Ink how to become more human and Ink teaches Joy things she didn’t know about herself. I loved the romance in this book and I ship Ink and Joy. If they ever get split up in future stories I’ll go insane I’ll be sad.

I would recommend Indelible to readers who are looking for a novel that will keep your attention throughout the story. Readers who want a story that had the perfect amount of romance and fantasy and action will definitely enjoy readingIndelible. Fans of male characters like Jace Wayland (from Cassandra Claire’sThe Mortal Instruments) will love Ink and will love him and Joy and will love their love. All around, I would highly recommend this novel to YA readers.

Source: http://www.chapter-by-chapter.com/review-of-indelible-by-dawn-metcalf