maryann

Chapter by Chapter

A mostly Young Adult book review blog run by a mother and daughter team.

After Math (Off the Subject #1) by Denise Grover Swank

After Math (Off the Subject #1) - Denise Grover Swank

After Math by Denise Grover Swank was a book that I was really excited to start reading.  I loved her book HERE, and so was curious to see what this book had in store.  What I found was a story that kept breaking my heart over and over again, and left me a little misty eyed at times.

The story revolves around college students, Scarlett and Tucker.  Scarlett is a math whiz who has her sights set on working with the FBI, and Tucker is the campus stud and soccer superstar, with a scandalous reputation.  But fate plays its wicked game and Scarlett ends up having to tutor Tucker in Algebra in order for him to keep his grades up and keep his soccer scholarship.

As the tutoring sessions proceed, feelings between Scarlett and Tucker evolve.  But with both of them trying to escape dark pasts, they are both pretty broken and any semblance of a relationship between them would be nothing but destructive…or would it?

This book pretty much tore my heart apart.  At first, we learn that Tucker is this star that pretty much lives by the saying “love ‘em and leave ‘em”.  Who knows how many hearts this stud has broken!  No, no it wasn’t this egomaniac Tucker that I found attractive.  It was the side that he showed to Scarlett.  His sweet and vulnerable side was what got me.  His honesty with her, his tenderness, and how even just little things he did (like buying a cup of coffee and a bagel for Scarlett) had me smirking over this bad boy.

But his bad boy attitude is something that he’s had for a while.  A terrible past has made him a completely different person than what Scarlett knows.  And it killed me to learn all these little bits and pieces of his past.  I wanted to reach into the book and hug him myself, that’s how much I felt for him.

But Tucker’s not the only one who had a troubled past.  Scarlett has lived a pretty difficult life herself, which led her to have anxiety attacks.  What I loved about Scarlett was her determination to not turn into her mother.  To be the best she can be to become exactly what she wants to be.  She is smart and funny, and someone that I really enjoyed getting to know in After Math.  I will admit that in the beginning, I found her a little snobbish with the way in which she would talk to Tucker, especially with the way in which she would speak.  But after reading the book, I guess that was the effect that author, Denise Grover Swank, was going for!  As the storyline between Tucker and Scarlett progressed, not only did I see a change in her personality, but she lost her snobby way of speaking and became someone that I really enjoyed watching breaking out of the walls she had built up all those years ago.

I know that Tucker’s reputation of sleeping around is one that should really concern Scarlett’s friends, but I was really annoyed with the Caroline’s attitude when it came to the subject of Scarlett and Tucker.  The way in which she would quickly go from friendly to pissed off-ish as soon as the subject of Tucker came up.  And why is the answer always “have a drink…have another drink…”?   Yah, no.  That’s not the answer to the problems.

All in all, this was a book that I was so glad to have been able to read as it has some subject matter that will really touch readers’ hearts everywhere.  After Math by Denise Grover Swank delves deep into the lives of troubled pasts and possibilities of second chances.  It will slowly imprint itself into your mind and have you thinking about it long after you’ve finished reading it.

Source: http://www.chapter-by-chapter.com/blog-tour-after-math-by-denise-grover-swank-review-and-g1veaway