maryann

Chapter by Chapter

A mostly Young Adult book review blog run by a mother and daughter team.

Review of Unbreakable by Kami Garcia

Unbreakable - Kami Garcia

I have been so eager to get readingUnbreakable the first novel in a new series by author Kami Garcia. I loved the Beautiful Creatures series which she co-wrote with Margaret Stohl and right from the description ofUnbreakable I was dying to get reading. Especially since it sounded a lot like the best TV show of all time like whoa the CW’sSupernatural. Which I love. So, so much.

Unbreakable is the story of main character Kennedy Waters who, after leaving to a party, returns to her mother being murdered. At first Kennedy thinks that her mother died of a heart attack up until a ghost tries to kill her in the middle of the night. She barely manages to avoid being killed thanks to twin brothers Jared and Lukas Lockhart and discovers that her mother lived an entirely different life than she thought. Her mother is part of an ancient society that accidentally released a demon and has made it their descendants’ duty to protect the world from the demon.

Suddenly Kennedy finds herself travelling with what remains of the Legion (a.k.a. the secret society) which includes the Lockhart twins, a young boy named Priest and Alara. The teens, aware that the demon is growing powerful and sending spirits their way, begin a search for the only weapon that could possibly defeat him. However as the search continues, Kennedy finds herself falling hard for one of the mysterious Lockhart boys who won’t let himself get closer to her for reasons he won’t reveal.

What I really liked about Unbreakable was (first of all) the monsters and the lore in it. I’ll admit that I was hoping that the Legion teens would get to face off against some demons and spirits, but the majority of the threats they faced in the novel were spirits. Creepy, deadly, you-better-hide-under-your-bed spirits. Basically imagine every ghost horror flick you’ve seen and that’s what the Legion teens had to face in Unbreakable. The lore and precautions used to defend themselves from the spirits was both interesting and also reminiscent of Supernatural which I enjoyed.

The pacing in Unbreakable is very fast and it doesn’t stop for a moment. Just when things start to reach a low point a plot twist is thrown in that changes the entire plot and is bound to keep readers going until the very last page. There are a variety of characters introduced into the story with backstories that are heartbreaking and make them more three dimensional. Plus, readers are introduced to the Lockhart brothers who are described as total badasses who also happen to be very gorgeous and breathtaking attractive. A total bonus.

The only issue I had with Unbreakable was Kennedy and some of the romance. While I did like her character for a number of reasons I just felt that she was constantly playing the role of a damsel in distress instead of taking initiative and getting things done. Whenever the going got tough Kennedy would always be the first character to need to be saved by the Legion when the Legion itself is supposed to have members who can defend themselves. Personally, I just felt that she spent a lot of the novel mourning her old life and (later) mourning her destiny. As for the romance, some of it just felt forced.

Other than that I fell in love with Unbreakable and cannot wait for the next novel in the series.  Readers who are big fans of the supernatural and paranormal romance are definitely going to want to check out this read. Fans ofSupernatural the show need to read this. NEED. Understand? Readers who want a novel that has non-stop action, drama and thrills should giveUnbreakable a shot. I can’t wait to find out what happens next!

Source: http://www.chapter-by-chapter.com/review-of-unbreakable-by-kami-garcia