maryann

Chapter by Chapter

A mostly Young Adult book review blog run by a mother and daughter team.

Cold Spell by Jackson Pearce

Cold Spell - Jackson Pearce

I have been such a big fan of author Jackson Pearce’s fairy tale retellings. They just seem to be getting better and better with each installment. It started with the badass Sisters Red and now there is Cold Spell a retelling of the Snow Queen. It was fantastic. Amazing. A completely breathtaking read. Honestly, Cold Spell was the best of the series so far.

In Cold Spell Ginny has been friends with Kai since they were kids. They’re best friends, more than friends. Ginny is in love with Kai. Kai is in love with Ginny. She puts up with the fact that his Grandmother Dalia hates her because she knows that they’ll both end up together and that they’ll move to New York. The one thing that Kai’s Grandmother has always raved about were the beasts and Snow Queen and to mind them but neither Kai nor Ginny believe in her stories. They are just stories.

All it takes to change Ginny’s life and relationship with Kai is when his Grandmother is taken away by paramedics and a physically flawless woman named Mora enters their lives. After Kai’s Grandma dies Mora suddenly appears everywhere constantly talking to Kai, constantly trying to take Ginny’s place. The very last thing Ginny expected is for Mora to steal Kai’s heart and in turn steal him away from her.

It’s one discovery that forces Ginny to go after Mora and to take back Kai whether he likes it or not because she knows that somehow something bigger is at work here. Suddenly everything that Grandma Dalia talked about was true. The beasts and the Snow Queen are all very real and very evil. Ginny’s journey to get back the love of her life lead her to the Fenris, a private investigator and his werewolf killing wife and a band of gypsies. Ginny can’t help but wonder if Kai, and her love for him, can be saved.

Okay, everything about Cold Spell was honestly perfect. Amazing. I loved every moment spent reading. The way the characters were written, the way the plot panned out, the emotional depth in Ginny’s thoughts and how much she loves Kai—it was all so perfect. The darkest cutest read I’ve ever gotten the chance to experience.

I do think that a lot of readers are going to love the Kai/Ginny relationship. There is no watching their relationship build up, we’re dropped into the middle of a young relationship and sometimes that doesn’t really work out too well. I know that personally I read a novel that doesn’t show me the couple coming together and it really turns me off and makes it feel fake but so not the case in Cold Spell. The way that Kai leaves Ginny and how much she says she loves him and the sacrifices she makes for him—it all builds their relationship and their relationship’s relationship with the reader. Fantastic.

We do get to see more of what happens to the ‘mermaid’ girls fromFathomless as we get some scenes that are from the antagonist Mora’s point of view. We see what made her villainous, what made her evil and how she came to be this all powerful Snow Queen. I found it really awesome that we got to see some of the villain’s point of view and the reasons behind why they are the way they are. While a backstory may not justify why Mora does what she does it definitely explains it.

If you’ve read her fairy tale retellings them you know that Jackson Pearce’s writing is out of this world. The descriptions are perfect. The world is built amazingly. The characters are so different and constantly developing throughout the novel. If you’ve read Sisters Red, Sweetly and Fathomless you need to get reading Cold SpellNeed to.

I would recommend Cold Spell to readers who are looking for an addictive read that will blow you away. Readers who are fans of romance, retellings and want some werewolf lore mixed into an awesome standaloneneed to get reading Jackson Pearce’s fairy tale retellings ASAP!

Source: http://www.chapter-by-chapter.com/review-of-cold-spell-by-jackson-pearce