maryann

Chapter by Chapter

A mostly Young Adult book review blog run by a mother and daughter team.

The Originals by Cat Patrick

The Originals - Cat Patrick

Imagine growing up thinking that you and your sisters are triplets, then being woken up in the middle of the night by your mother to flee in the cover of darkness.  Now imagine being told the truth…that you and your sister are clones of a baby that had died long ago.

That is exactly happened to Lizzie, Ella, and Betsey.  After being told that they can no longer act as triplets but must now play a part in a single life…one of Elizabeth Best.  The sisters are allotted a third of a day to exist in the real word.  Lizzie has the morning, Ella has the afternoon, and Betsey has the evenings.  So far, things had been going well.  Lizzie would go to morning classes, rush home at lunch to swap places with Ella who would then finish the afternoon classes and go to cheerleading practice.  For the evening, Betsey would go to night school in preparation for college.  While one of the sisters is at school, the other two are home schooled with the same subject and information.  The sisters would all learn the jazz dance moves, and the cheerleading cheers so that all three lives run seamlessly as one.

That is, until Lizzie pretty much fails a math quiz which, as their mother would say, would draw too much attention to them.  So what’s the way to solve that?  Switch time.  Now Ella must do the morning routine, and Lizzie is now responsible for the afternoon schedule.  But Lizzie didn’t expect to start falling for Sean Kelly.  A guy who makes her want to be an individual, to have her own life so that she can date him.  But of course that complicates things, as Ella has also found a crush of her very own.  How can three girls pretending to be one girl manage to date?  Easy!  Mom will decide who the lucky guy will be.  Too bad for Lizzie that mommy dearest has decided to go with Ella’s crush.

But that doesn’t stop Lizzie from going for what she wants.  And because of her stubborn, go-get-em attitude, Lizzie discovers that her mother has her own secrets.  One that Lizzie is determined to unravel, especially if the light at the end of tunnel resembles freedom for her and her sisters.

I couldn’t stop reading The Originals by Cat Patrick.  It was one of those books that I had a hard time putting down, squeezing in spare minutes here and there to continue the story that was unfolding before my eyes.

There were various moments in the book where my heart pounded like crazy, fearing that Lizzie and her sisters would get busted!  I fell in love with author, Cat Patrick’s book Forgotten, and was extremely excited to read another one of her works.  Her writing is one that is so addictive and captivates the attention of the reader.  With the multiple twists and turns in the book, there was always the moments where I was left wondering what could happen next!  It totally opened up my eyes to the idea of cloning and wondering just how close science is to cloning humans, or on the flip side…if things have progressed as far as it has in this book, and there are clones being hidden in the world and living right under our noses.

I loved all the characters in this book.  Even the crazy obsessive OCD mother.  She was the “is she a villain” character that kept you guessing, and had you loathing her how she forces her girls to live.  Lizzie, Ella, and Betsey (even though they are clones) all have their own personalities that you can’t help but love.  And because of their own personalities and the understanding of what their life is like, I couldn’t help but wish that they will find what they are looking for and have what they want the most…their own individual lives.

I absolutely recommend this read to readers everywhere.  Those who are fascinated in science and the possibility of cloning will really enjoy The Originals by Cat Patrick.

Source: http://www.chapter-by-chapter.com/review-of-the-originals-by-cat-patrick