maryann

Chapter by Chapter

A mostly Young Adult book review blog run by a mother and daughter team.

The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead

The Indigo Spell - Richelle Mead

I love, love, love Richelle Mead’s Bloodlinesseries. Seriously, I was addicted to VA for such a long time and got so sad when the series came to an end, but Bloodlines has gotten pretty freaking amazing. Getting to see a new part of the VA universe, the world of the Alchemists, has been nothing short of awesome. Since I finishedThe Golden Lily I have been dying to get started on The Indigo Spell and by the time I finished it I was screaming. Seriously, somebody has to give me The Fiery Heart right now.

After having Adrian admit his feeling to her only for her to turn him down, things have been awkward between Sydney, Jill and Adrian. While it has been putting a strain on her relationship with the vampire princess, Sydney has more on her plate than usual. Dealing with her secret meetings with her teacher as she begins to master magic; discovering that there’s a new witch in town, Veronica, who plans on sucking the youth and magic out of young girls; finding the elusive and mysterious Marcus Finch, the only person known to have left the Alchemists and give Sydney the answers she seeks; and dealing with her relationship with Adrian.

Soon Sydney finds herself hunting down both Marcus and Veronica. Both pull her closer than she would like toward Adrian as she tries to fight the undeniable attraction between herself and Adrian (who has vowed that even if Sydney won’t reciprocate his feelings, he’ll just love her from afar). Sydney begins to question everything that she knows about the Alchemists, her mission and herself.

I loved everything about The Indigo Spell. It was just perfect, which it seems everything that Richelle Mead writes is. P-e-r-f-e-c-t. The amount of romance in the story, the amount of action and magic and detailing it all just clicked together in the right way. Readers who have read The Golden Lily but haven’t had the time to get to The Indigo Spell need to get reading right away. This is, in my opinion, the best novel I’ve read out of the three Bloodlines novels. Kept me on the edge of my seat until the very end.

As always, Mead’s writing brings the characters to life and makes the setting and story all the more real. Throughout reading The Indigo Spell I could easily see the characters and the plot happening in my head like a movie. Scene for scene. It was awesome. With the way tthat Mead writes there are lots of times where I would go through a hundred pages of the story without noticing and find myself unable to put the book down because a) I was addicted and b) I’m falling for Adrian the way I fell for Dmitri in VA.

There’s lots of Adrian being his sexy self in The Indigo Spell guys. Apart from him being a drop-dead attractive goofball we also get to see a lot of his vulernable, emotional side that cares a lot about Sydney. He does so much inThe Indigo Spell to woo her and win her over so that she will finally be his and over and over again I would yell at Sydney for always making up excuses to push him away. Just accept that he’s in love with you and that you guys will be perfect together. So what if he’s a vampire?

This ending will leave you emotionally compromised (and I mean that in a good way). That cliff hanger? And what occurs between certain characters that had me screaming? Amazing. As I said before, I’m literally dying to read The Fiery Heart and I need is ASAP.

I would recommend the Vampire Academy series and the Bloodlines  companion series to readers that are big fans of the YA vampire scene, readers who want some breathtaking romance and to anybody who just wants a really good, brilliantly-crafted, story.

Source: http://www.chapter-by-chapter.com/review-of-the-indigo-spell-by-richelle-mead