maryann

Chapter by Chapter

A mostly Young Adult book review blog run by a mother and daughter team.

Empower by Jessica Shirvington

Empower (Embrace) - Jessica Shirvington

I don’t even know where to start with this review.  My love for this series is undying.  From the moment I read Embrace, book 1 in The Violet Eden series, to the very last page of Empower, the last book in this installment, I knew I was reading something that would be unlike anything I have ever read.  For reals… So when I got the ARC for Empower, I knew that I had to put everything else on the back burner and dive head first into this book.  I was surely not disappointed and am where I am now…not sure where to start with the review.

Should I tell you that I cried?  Duhr…I cried so much!  I cried in the early chapters and I cried right to the bitter end.  Not the single tear type crying…oh no, no, no.  It was the ugly crying.  The mouth turned down, quivering lips, scrunched up eyes, trying to be silent type of cry.   Empower broke my heart over and over and over again…and like a fool, I didn’t turn away.  I continued with the emotional pain.  It was the best time I’ve had in a long time.

Empower by Jessica Shirvington opens up with action, baby.  Oh yah.  It’s two years later, and Violet is more bad ass.  She’s gone rogue and her abilities are insane.  I’ve always loved her character and in this final installment, I loved her even more.  The sacrifices she makes now and the sacrifices she made in the past all come full circle.  Whether or not it’s going to bite her in the butt is one you’ll have to find out for yourself.

Even though we see her kick some serious butt, we also see that her hard, cold exterior is all hiding what’s really going on inside of her.  Because of what happened in Endless, between her and Lincoln, Violet is suffering every dang day with a broken soul.  And how exactly is she surviving?  By putting up her walls.  It also doesn’t hurt that some of Phoenix’s powers that leaked to her is helping with this bit.

But an unexpected visit from her past forces Violet to face those she left behind.  Something is happening…something big…something pretty epic, and Violet must now travel back to New York and back to the Academy to figure out a way to save those she loves.  But going back also means facing the one person that kills her inside…Lincoln.

There’s so much more that I want to say!  There’s so much more that needs to be said!  But saying it would give away too much…and I don’t want to ruin any part of this book for you, dear readers.  Let’s just say that there is mucho sacrificing going on in this book.   And I shed mucho tears over these sacrifices.

With Empower being the last book, of course we’re gonna see deaths and seeing goodbyes.  It’s inevitable, right?  Ughhhh!  If I could turn back time, and read this book again, I would slow down and absorb it all even more.  I wouldn’t rush so that I could see what happens next.  I would go with the moment.  Because this book was amazeballs.  Seriously!  The characters, both old and new, are unforgettable, and will always be unforgettable.

The author does an amazing job of getting the readers to connect with the characters that every little thing that happens feels like it’s happening to a friend, or someone you know.  The way in which she dragged out certain events without disclosing a name until the very end and it rips out your heart was done perfectly.  I was guessing and guessing trying to figure who got hurt or worse…and then BAM(!), she just rips your heart out…and stomps on it.  I was inconsolable for a little bit during a certain part, and had to put the book down.  I just had a few pages left to go, but I just had to step away…

And my continuing struggle with who I crushed on more?  Lincoln or Phoenix?  Dudes, I was flip flopping like a fish out of water.  I hearted Lincoln, but then Phoenix does or says something (again!) and I’m back to Team Phoenix… Gosh these two boys were making my head spin!

I would recommend this entire series to fans of CW television series like Vampire Diaries, for example.  It is an angel read like no other, and you will not regret any moment.  Strong female lead, sexy bad boy, soul mates with a destiny…The Violet Eden series has it all.

Source: http://www.chapter-by-chapter.com/blog-tour-empower-by-jessica-shirvington-review