maryann

Chapter by Chapter

A mostly Young Adult book review blog run by a mother and daughter team.

The Girl Who Never Was (Otherworld #1) by Skylar Dorset

The Girl Who Never Was - Skylar Dorset

What first caught my eye for author Skylar Dorset’s The Girl Who Never Was had to be the gorgeous cover. Who wouldn’t be curious after looking at that? And then the description of The Girl Who Never Was definitely had me sold. I had to get reading and know what events would unfold. What I can say about The Girl Who Never Was is that this novel was not at all what I expected to be—and I mean that in a good way. It is imaginative and a new twist of the fairy-side of the supernatural genre.

Seventeen-year-old Selkie knows only a few things about her mother. The first being that she first met Selkie’s father when he discovered her asleep on his couch. The second, that Selkie’s mother abandoned her on her father’s doorstep when she was a baby. Now Selkie’s father isn’t all-together in his head and has left Selkie to be raised by her strange aunts. She’s lived knowing only one rule: don’t tell anybody your birthday.

So when Selkie finally says those words to Ben, a boy who she’s known practically forever, her entire world spirals out of control. Suddenly Selkie discovers that Ben is no ordinary human and that she isn’t either. Ben is a fae and Selkie is a half-fae princess part of a prophecy that will allow the Unseelie Court to rule. But perhaps the darkest secret that Selkie learns is that her absent mother intends to have her dead.

The Girl Who Never Was is a refreshing urban fantasy that takes place in Boston. There are a lot of interesting characters that are introduced into this imaginative story that definitely drive the plot forward. The Girl Who Never Wasgives off a very foreboding and dark aura but is a story that—though grim as it can be—has it’s more lighthearted moments. Everything in The Girl Who Never Was works well together. The characters, the setting, the plot; it all works and makes for a non-stop story that I got caught up in.

What had me hooked on the novel had to be Ben/Benedict/don’t say his name or it could potentially kill him.  I really loved Ben’s character. Right from the moment we’re first introduced to him, you can tell that Ben is going to play a major role in the plot, especially since he’s the character who Selkie gives her birth date to. Ben turns out to be a fae who has essentially pledged his life to protecting Selkie. Is there going to be romance between the two of them? Most likely. But there’s also a dangerous warning given to Selkie regarding Ben thathad me screaming leaves readers wondering what will happen next with Ben and if his motives are as pure as they seem.

The Girl Who Never Was is very Alice in Wonderland meets The Mortal Instruments. Selkie travels between our Boston and the realm of the fae. I was actually very surprised with how much I enjoyed the world of the fae. It was perfectly described and gave off an instant sense of danger. Selkie’s mother is the ruler of the Seelie Court and she is a terrifying villain. She seems nice on the surface but is really a powerful threat who can name other faeries without even flinching.

Dorset’s writing is smooth and constantly keeps readers on their toes. I cannot wait to find out what happens next to Selkie and Ben and I know that the next installment will be great. I would recommend The Girl Who Never Was to readers who are fans of urban fantasy, readers who are looking for the first novel in a series that will keep them hooked and to any readers who want a unique novel.

Source: http://www.chapter-by-chapter.com/review-the-girl-who-never-was-by-skylar-dorset