maryann

Chapter by Chapter

A mostly Young Adult book review blog run by a mother and daughter team.

Stormbringers (The Order of Darkness #2) by Philippa Gregory

Stormbringers - Philippa Gregory

I was so excited to be able to get back into this world created by author, Philippa Gregory.  I didn’t realize how much I missed the characters in the book until I was thrown back into their adventure, especially Freize.  This guy was constantly making me laugh out loud and giggle.

The five travelling companions are continuing their journey together, and the attraction between Isolde and Luca are becoming more and more obvious.  I, personally, love the start crossed lovers theme happening here…where Isolde wants so much to have Luca as her own, and where they can profess their love to each other, but Luca is on his way to taking his vows into priesthood…which is a huge obstacle.   And Luca is having a difficult time controlling his thoughts and desires towards Isolde.  But he knows what his path in life is leading, and yet, he can’t resist his attraction to Isolde.

After having received another quest from the lord of The Order of Darkness, their travels take them to a fishing town where an inquiry is in order.  It seems that Luca and his fellow travelers are not the only ones who have stopped into town to rest.  A crusade has come into town…a crusade of children who is being led by one they call Johann the Good, who is merely a child himself; 16 years old.  Johann believes that God speaks to him and has sent him on a quest to Palestine where he and a crusade of children will face the enemy and change the war, and where miracles will be witnessed.

After hearing his very convincing sermon, Luca and the crew decide that they, too, will follow Johann to Jerusalem and bear witness to the miracles he tells.  But what was supposed to be believed to be a miracle turns into a tragedy, and the lives of everyone involved takes a dramatic turn for the worse.  Friendships are tested, and rumors of Stormbringers working their magic has made things rather difficult for our group of travelers.

If I were to compare book 1 with book 2, I would have to say that book 2 is the better of the 2 so far!  I felt quite a bit of emotion in this book due to the events that transpire in the pages.  It was heartbreaking to witness the pain that some of these characters go through because of something that I am so not going to tell you.  There was a lot of action in this installment as well!  There really isn’t a dull moment in Stormbringers.  It was go…go…go!  Once one event finishes, something else creeps its way into the story and I was hooked all over again!

We are left wondering what is exactly up with Luca and Brother Peter’s lord (who shall not be named…at this time I guess…), readers are left to start questioning Ishraq and what her intentions (or soon to be intentions) are, and we also are teased with an introduction to a new villain that I hope we see more of in the next books to follow!  I was reeling wondering what was real, and what was set up to be portrayed as truth…

I also loved that a little bit more about The Order of Darkness is discussed in the book, and a little snippet to another order that I am sooooo hoping will be a huge part of the this series…the Order of Assassins…  How awesome would that be?  I can’t say how this order came up, but when the possibility of more is talked about?  How could I not help but squee just a little bit!

Fans of Book One in the Order of Darkness series, Changling, will devour this next installment, Stormbringers.  I totally recommend these reads to those who love reading about quests and epic journeys, are looking for characters that will not easily be forgotten, and want to be lost in a world of dark secrets and explainable occurrences.

Source: http://www.chapter-by-chapter.com/review-of-stormbringers-the-order-of-darkness-2-by-philippa-gregory