maryann

Chapter by Chapter

A mostly Young Adult book review blog run by a mother and daughter team.

Blind Spot

Blind Spot - Laura Ellen Is the cover of this novel not creepy and cool at the same time? The first time I saw Blind Spot by Laura Ellen, I really thought that it would end up rolling to the paranormal side of the YA spectrum. I mean, reading the description I thought that maybe main character Roswell Hart’s eye disease would turn out to be something totally supernatural and result in her solving a murder scheme (teen psychic or something). That was my best guess and I was pretty happy when I found out that Blind Spot is far from paranormal/supernatural/etc. I was overjoyed.Blind Spot is a part of two genres: teen fiction and mystery. I’ve never been able to really get into teen fiction however reading Blind Spot has definitely got me wanting more high school drama… to read about… not in my actual daily life… Anyways! Blind Spot takes place in the first person and follows the life of main character Roswell (Roz) Hart who has been diagnosed with an eye disease that keeps her from seeing things clearly. Instead of looking straight on, Roz has to look more to the side which makes eye contact impossible. When Roz is put into special needs class she finds a frenemy in Tricia Farni and a very real enemy in her new teacher Mr. Dellian. Dellian has made it his goal to embarrass Roz by using her disability against her and nobody believes Roz when she tells authority figures about his harassment. It’s not until Roz has to buy Tricia pot that she becomes involved in both a romantic relationship with her school’s renowned player Jonathan and a web of lies. After going to a party with Jonathan and waking up at home with no recollection of the night’s events, Roz finds herself stuck in the middle of a murder mystery and has to discover who it is that killed Tricia Farni before the murder is pinned on her.The most memorable thing about Blind Spot will definitely be the Dellian vs. Roz relationship that is a crucial part of the novel. Right from the first chapter that he’s introduced in, I absolutely hated Mr. Dellian. The ways he constantly made fun of Roz by using her disability against her and constantly had her drowning in a sea of trouble because of his harassment had me so angry. I swear, every single chapter that Dellian and Roz were in had me fuming and near the end of the novel, when Dellian’s role in the novel grows even more crucial—I was furious. I don’t want to give any spoilers so all I will say is this: I don’t care who died, if somebody did what Dellian did you can’t just forgive them after they say sorry once. You just can’t!Personally I found that Roz was a character that I personally could barely relate to. I understood her when it came to her past with lost friendships but other than that I didn’t really understand the logic that came with her reasoning. For example when she finds Tricia in the bathroom begging for Roz to go buy her some weed instead of going to a teacher and Roz decides that her best option is to go and buy some weed. Really? Buying drugs isn’t cool nor is it smart guys, you can get expelled for stuff like that. Just go to a teacher and explain that Tricia is in the bathroom trying not to shoot herself up with a needle, it’s probably really easy and the smartest thing you could do. All of that being said, there were times where I would have to put the novel down and shake my head because of Roz’s immature and thoughtless choices, but I suppose that it does all help Roz grow as a character nearing the novel’s conclusion.I’d recommend Blind Spot to readers who are looking for a mystery novel with a shocking end and to fans of teen fiction that want a story that focuses on some of the major downs that come with being a teenager.