maryann

Chapter by Chapter

A mostly Young Adult book review blog run by a mother and daughter team.

Splendor (Sacred #2) by Elana K. Arnold

Splendor - Elana K. Arnold

This book both broke my  heart and gave me a sense of peace and calm.  Splendor by Elana K. Arnold broke my heart because the author throws this twist near the end that I honestly didn’t even see coming.  I believe my jaw dropped and I whispered a panicked “what?”

Will is off to college, and Scarlett is still on Catalina Island finishing her senior year.  But a new school year also brings new students…and in this case it’s a British bad boy, Gunner, who favors his clover cigarettes, and is the desire of every girl at school, including Lily and, surprisingly enough, Scarlett.

This is the year where ties are tested.  Lily and Scarlett’s friendship due to Gunner, Will and Scarlett due to …Gunner, and Scarlett and her father due to…here’s a hint…it’s not Gunner.

So how does Scarlett deal with all her drama?  Spending time with her newly pregnant horse, Delilah, and spending time with some newly made friends and studying Kabbalah.  But it’s with these studies that Scarlett learns something completely new about herself…and whether she accepts this new found gift or ignores it, one thing is certain.  Scarlett is seeing things in a new light, but also seeing other parts in a darker shade of grey.

Just like in book 1, Sacred, there is again an element of something semi-supernatural in Splendor by Elana K. Arnold.  We witness another event with Will where his need to protect those who cannot protect themselves, but this time, things become darker.  And Scarlett finds out something about herself that I honestly, didn’t quite understand.  That, in itself, was what I found intriguing.  Being able to learn about this ability in the same way that Scarlett learns about it.

There was quite a lot of talk about religion during Scarlett’s lessons in Kabbalah, which I know should have been interesting to readers, but for myself, I found that it had me losing interest.  I wanted more of the interactions with the characters.  More conversation, more…something.  But instead, I found myself drowning in talks of spirituality and religion.

But apart from that, it still had the same elements that Sacred had, and that was enough to keep my attention.  We see Scarlett struggle with her feelings for Will while trying to fight her attraction to Gunner.  We see just how important her best friend Lily is to her, and we witness just how much of an impact and how important Lily is to Scarlett.

Fans of book 1 will come to enjoy the Splendor by Elana K. Arnold.  Those who are interested on learning more about Kabbalah, will really appreciate the information provided in this book.

Source: http://www.chapter-by-chapter.com/blog-tour-splendor-by-elana-k-arnold-review-and-giveaway